20.11.06

Instinct (1999)



"One man's mind, is another man's mystery."

Rated R.

Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Cuba Gooding Jr., Maura Tierny and Donald Sutherland

I've been quickly falling in love with the AMC movie channel on cable. I was delighted to find myself at the exact beginning of "Instinct" just by chance. I was suprised to like the movie so well. Hopkins played a former doctor turned criminally insane after living with gorillas for over 2 years. Cuba Gooding Jr. is the doctor put on his case, when he is captured and taken to jail, and it's his confusing journey to find the reason for the hater risiding within Hopkins character.

I was actually surprised to have liked this movie. It's kind of slow in the beginning, but near the midway point, things get more interesting, and you just want to know the answers. I was also surprised at the emotions brought out of me due to the film. I was really touched by the end of the movie. Anthony Hopkins did a great job acting, because probably for once, I actually looked at him and didn't think that he was Hannibal Lector. Cuba Gooding Jr. is always mediocre to me, because I could really see anyone acting that part out. The two actors did have good chemistry, and I'm always happy to see Maura Tierney in a film.

**** 4 out of 5 stars

Recommended if you liked: The Shawshank Redemption or Don't Say A Word

No comments: